If you’re following the popular clean-eating program Whole30, you’re probably wondering what you’ll be able to indulge in at summer get-togethers—especially barbecues. For those who aren’t familiar with the eating plan, it focuses on consuming only whole, unprocessed foods for 30 days, restricting all added sugars, salt, artificial sweeteners, grains, dairy, and legumes. “The goal is to ‘reset’ your body to curb cravings, reduce inflammation, and improve energy, versus focusing on weight loss (you are supposed to refrain from weighing yourself during the 30-day period),” explains Erin Palinski-Wade, RDN, author of Belly Fat Diet For Dummies. Sounds tough—and it can be—but the good news is that there are plenty of Whole30 summer barbecue recipes.
Summer cookouts call for some pretty basic staples—fruit, veggies, and meat, all of which are Whole30-approved. You may have to make a few tweaks here or there when it comes to certain side dishes, and, of course, desserts. However, there are plenty of recipes online that swap ingredients in and out to accommodate for a similar flavor. Dietitians share their favorite Whole30 summer barbecue recipes.
For more information on health and fitness, consult Aaptiv—it’s got you covered.
Simple Balsamic Grilled Peaches
Amy Gorin, M.S., R.D.N., owner of Amy Gorin Nutrition in the New York City area, likes to add a balsamic glaze to peaches to make a fairly easy recipe appear fancier. “Grilled peaches taste so decadent, but are packed with so much nutrition!” she says. “Peaches are almost 90 percent water, so they will help keep you hydrated on a hot day.” The best part? This recipe requires two ingredients! That’s it!
3 peaches, halved and pitted
1 tablespoon of reduced balsamic vinegar
- Place peaches on oiled grill.
- Cook until charred and softened (eight to ten minutes).
- Turn once.
- Once cooked, plate and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Avocado Deviled Eggs with Smoked Paprika
“Eggs and avocados are allowed foods on the Whole30 diet,” says Gorin. “This recipe is a delicious spin on deviled eggs and uses avocado instead of mayonnaise.” She recommends whipping up a batch of this Whole30 summer barbecue recipe as an appetizer.
10 large eggs, hard-boiled
1 ripe avocado
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Cook hard-boiled eggs and wait for them to cool.
- Once cooled, slice in half lengthwise and remove the yolks.
- Combine yolks, avocado, lemon juice, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Add mixture to a zip-top plastic bag, cutting off a ¼-inch piece at the bottom corner.
- Pipe the filling into the halved egg whites.
- Dust with black pepper and paprika.
Grilled Asparagus with Lemongrass Garlic Rub
Asparagus is one of Gorin’s go-to Whole30 summer barbecue recipes. “It’s a fantastic food all around, offering plenty of filling fiber,” she says. “This recipe is tasty and so easy since it can be made on the grill and is seasoned simply with olive oil and spices.”
1 1/2 lb. (~24) medium asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemongrass, chopped (alternatively, you can rehydrate the freeze-dried version)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and spices.
- Toss asparagus in a sealed zippered bag with spice mixture.
- Place on an oiled grill rack, and cook five to seven minutes until tender, turning once.
Salmon Fillet in Foil
Grilled salmon is one of the most nutritious types of protein that you can get your hands on. Palinski-Wade loves this Whole30 summer barbecue recipe because it packs in fiber and antioxidants from the vegetables along with Omega-3 fatty acids from the fish.
1 Salmon fillet
Diced Brussels sprouts
2 teaspoons garlic
- Place a salmon fillet on foil and top with fresh sliced vegetables, lemon, and garlic.
- Create a steamer bag out of the foil and place on a hot grill.
- Grill until the salmon is cooked throughout.
Now that you’re equipped on the nutrition side, make sure your workouts aren’t slacking. Check out Aaptiv’s workouts today.