Before you read on, here are three myths you shouldn’t believe in muscle building;
- You have to lift weights to get well-toned body muscles.
- You have to eat lots of protein to get bigger muscles.
- You must have the Swiss ball if you want to build a bigger chest and shoulder muscles.
At some point, the protein part is correct but, then you only need around 0.9 grams to 1.25 grams per pound of your total body weight for the best results.
Did you also know that losing muscle mass may destroy your immune system, and make you susceptible to diseases? Health, and physical fitness experts at Midsizeinsider.com – Health & Fitness Website believes that muscle mass is not only important for our physical appearance but also critical for our health. With that in mind, let’s explore some of the top six exercises that will help you build muscles without touching any piece of equipment.
Pull-ups, and Chinups
Also known as the upper body squats, pull-ups and chin-ups are a great way of working your arms, biceps, and the back. They help you build chest muscles, and also the muscles of the arm, e.g biceps, and triceps. You will need a crossbar to perform this exercise.
Here’s how to do it:
- Raise your hand and extend slightly past your shoulder width, then hold the crossbar.
- Hang on it slightly, and pull yourself upwards towards the bar.
- Move your head past the bar, so it remains below your chin.
- Slowly, lower your body to its original position.
- Repeat this process for 15 to 20 times when you’re a beginner.
Walking and/or running
Walking, and/or running will work your hamstring muscles, quadriceps, Gluteus, the Maximus and Erector spinae. It will not only help you build these muscles but also boost the stability of the legs. Moreover, walking and running also help you burn a lot of calories, something which will help you tone and build more dominant abs.
How to do it:
If you’re just starting, you can begin with fast walking, then move to slow jogging, and running for 15-30 minutes. You can increase the time as you get used to it.
When you vigorously exercise your biceps, you will not only strengthen the muscles but also increase mass. This exercise presents you with the easiest route to building big, and stronger upper arm muscles with no expensive equipment; just a slightly raised platform or a stable chair/bench. You can also do it on your bed if you wish.
How to do it:
- Stand opposite raised platform/chair, and open up your hands to shoulder width and place them on the raised platform.
- Supporting your hands with the item, extend your legs to the front then slide your bottom off the platform to the front.
- Maintain a small bend on your elbows, then straighten the arms to put tension on the biceps. Bend the elbows slowly until they reach 90 degrees angle and your back is maintained close to the platform.
- While maintaining that position, press on the platform to stretch your elbow, and push yourself upwards.
Feel free to bend your legs slightly when doing this exercise to make it easier. Be sure to repeat it for 15-20 times if you’re starting.
Squatting is a simple exercise which you can do anytime, anywhere with no equipment at all. It is excellent in helping you build all the leg muscles and tone them as well as tone your abs. It also catalyses your body’s anabolic environment to give you a body-wide muscle structuring.
How to do it:
- Stand at ease with both feet extended to your shoulder width.
- Keeping your back maintained in a neutral position, bend your knees, hips and ankles slowly till you reach a 90-degree angle.
- Slowly return to the starting position, then repeat the process for 15-20 minutes if you’re a first timer.
This exercise works by engaging your core muscles to lift your body. It engages the quadriceps, pecs, biceps, and triceps to give you bulky chest, and arm muscles.
How to do push-ups:
- Place your hands on the ground/flat platform a few inches wider than your shoulder width. Stretch your legs behind you and maintain a neutral position, with the whole body straight from toes to head.
- Bend your elbows to lower your body close to the ground/flat platform, then push up back until you get your arms straight again.
- Repeat this process a few times. 15-20 push-ups should be enough per session for newbies.
The Bulgarian Split Squat
The Bulgarian split squat is known to activate multiple muscle groups in the body. It works by putting extra tension on your leg muscles, which helps increase muscle growth. This exercise technically engages the quads, adductors, gluteus, calves, hamstring, and abductor. It builds these muscles, strengthening them and stabilizing them as well.
How to do the Bulgarian split squat:
- Stand straight with one leg a few inches in front of the other.
- Put the top of the trailing leg on a slightly raised platform.
- Place your hands behind your head.
- Slowly, bend your knees to reduce to split squat until the front knee reaches around 90 degrees angle. Confirm this by checking if the thigh of the bent knee is parallel to the ground.
- Drive through the front knee, and stand back to the original position.
- Repeat this procedure a few times for each foot.
Now, as far as these exercises help you build muscles, it’s also good to know that they’re also good for your bones. Most athletes do these exercises to boost energy levels and increase endurance. You can also benefit from these as you get to boost your stability. It’s also worth noting that results don’t come in one day. Any veteran bodybuilder will tell you that it requires sacrifice, and passion to get that lean body, and those well toned abs. For best results, it’s recommended that you do the above exercises at least 2-3 times each week.
Multiple research reports also show that such exercises boost memory, and brain health. Moreover, if you’re struggling with depression, these exercises will help you get better without spending a coin on gym equipment or going to the gym.
The exercises are a great way to get a good body structure. Nevertheless, your life comes first. It’s advisable that you don’t exercise through pain, and also don’t hold your breath during exercise.