What if we told you there was one simple way you could elevate your fitness routine, make your cardio workouts more effective, and guarantee a lowered risk of injury? Well, there is: strength training.
We know, we know, we sound like an infomercial. We’re just really passionate about Aaptiv’s Strength Training classes.
Just 20 minutes of strength training twice a week can reduce body fat, increase lean muscle, and burn calories more efficiently; but, as important as it is, it’s often one of the last components we add to our routines. And we get it – those complicated gym machines can be hugely intimidating, and if you don’t have equipment at home, it might seem entirely too complicated.
That’s why our Aaptiv classes focus on strength exercises that use your body weight to challenge and tone — no equipment required. Our trainers use simple, effective moves, with plenty of available modifications, that make your body work for you.
Strength training will:
- Aid in weight loss by increasing your metabolism to make calorie-burning way more efficient.
- Build strong bones and reduce your risk of osteoporosis.
- Reduce pain caused by chronic conditions like arthritis, and help avoid or heal more quickly from injuries.
- Tone your body by building lean muscle.
Here’s what our trainers have to say about tackling these workouts:
- Properly warm up before beginning any strength routine (our classes use dynamic warm ups to loosen muscles and prevent injury)
- Set small, attainable goals: just doing one push-up means your on your way to huge strength gains!
- Never compromise form: always think quality over quantity.
- Keep a log of reps in order to keep track of improvements.
- Sometimes it can be a lot of trial & error, but don’t be afraid to try things outside personal comfort zone.
- To give your muscles time to recover, rest one full day between exercising each specific muscle group.
- Listen to your body. If an exercise causes pain, consider trying it again in a few days
Ready to see what you’re capable of? Here are three awesome strength training classes at every level.